Moving can be a very time consuming process. Whether you choose to hire professional movers or pack and move yourself, there is always a lot to do. It is important to have a plan set for your moving day. Start planning at least 6-8 weeks before you move by hiring moving companies or renting your own moving truck, start sorting and packing items and shutting off and turning on utilities. Packing your own items and moving yourself is my preferred way of moving. Packing your own boxes does have its own benefits. For me, the most beneficial part of packing myself is that I could go through my things and separate what I really wanted to keep and what could be donated or thrown away. This was also a good way for me to save money with my moving expense since most movers charge by the quantity of items and the weight.
Be sure to purchase a few different size boxes to help make the move easier and save you money. I was able to get all of my moving supplies from StorPlace Self Storage. StorPlace Self Storage has boxes that are small which are great for those heavy items such as dishes, glasses, and books. Their boxes also have handles which make it a lot easier to move them around. They have medium boxes that can hold a variety of belongings such as toys, collectibles, or small appliances. The large box is great for pots and pans and mixing bowls, and larger appliances. They also have an extra large box which is perfect for packing blankets, pillows, and all of the other lighter weight items you have to pack. They have a sturdy wardrobe box which I used for packing all of my hanging clothes. The mirror boxes worked fabulously for my flat screen television and my wall art.
There are a few things to keep in mind when you are packing boxes for your move:
1. Make sure that you have plenty of filler material such as plain newsprint, bubble wrap or clothes to put in boxes to fill them up.
2. When you are packing breakables, make sure to tightly wrap the item in newsprint or bubble wrap. Place these items in layers in the box. (A small box is prefered for breakable items such as glassware, plates and collectibles). Put the heaviest item at the bottom, add a layer of filler, then another item layer, then more filler and the lightest item on top with filler to the top of the box.
3. Make sure to label the contents of the box on the outside of each box. Also, put the room where the items belongs on the outside of the box, so it can be placed in the correct place in your new home.
4. Keep an inventory list of the boxes that are being moved and keep track of them as they go into the moving truck and are being removed from the moving truck.
5. When you are moving keep a few boxes aside that can be the last on the truck and the first into the new home. Label these boxes as “last in truck” and let your movers know that you need these boxes unloaded first.
WIth a little bit of planning, a collection of good moving and packing supplies and the proper packing of boxes, the moving process can be made a bit easier. Stop by any one of the 16 Middle Tennessee and Bowling Green, KY StorPlace locations to pick up your moving and packing supplies.